Global Handwashing Day is October 15th. Are you aware of these hand hygiene facts?
The Global Handwashing Partnership works to save children’s lives and improve health by promoting handwashing with soap.
- On average, only 40% of healthcare workers or fewer adhere to recommended hand hygiene practices.
- Healthcare-associated infections affect an average of 1 in 10 patients each year.
- Diarrhea is responsible for children missing 272 million school days each year. Handwashing with soap at critical times could help reduce school absenteeism 40 to 50%.
- Evidence shows that better handwashing practices could cut the rate of acute respiratory infections (including pneumonia) by more than 20%, and diarrheal diseases by nearly 50%.
- It is estimated that 19% of people globally wash their hands after contact with excreta.
What is a limited data set?
A limited data set is protected health information (PHI) that excludes 16 categories of direct identifiers (e.g. names, social security numbers, birthdates). It may be used or disclosed, for purposes of research, public health, or health care operations, without authorization from an individual.